Chlorine is commonly used to disinfect drinking water and make it safe for consumption by killing harmful microorganisms. However, if the concentration of chlorine in drinking water becomes too high, it can have adverse effects on both the water itself and human health. Here are some potential effects of too much chlorine in drinking water:

  1. Taste and Odor: Chlorine can impart an unpleasant taste and odor to water when present in high concentrations. Many people describe the taste and smell of chlorinated water as similar to bleach or a strong chemical odor.
  2. Skin and Eye Irritation: Chlorine can irritate the skin and eyes, especially when bathing or showering in water with elevated chlorine levels. It may lead to dry, itchy skin and red, irritated eyes.
  3. Respiratory Issues: Inhaling chlorine gas or its byproducts, such as chloramines, can lead to respiratory problems. High chlorine levels in the air near water treatment facilities or in indoor swimming pools can exacerbate asthma symptoms and cause respiratory distress.
  4. Gastrointestinal Distress: Drinking water with excessive chlorine levels can lead to gastrointestinal discomfort, including nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, particularly in sensitive individuals.
  5. Disinfection Byproducts: When chlorine reacts with naturally occurring organic matter in water, it can form disinfection byproducts (DBPs), such as trihalomethanes (THMs) and haloacetic acids (HAAs). Prolonged exposure to these byproducts has been associated with an increased risk of certain health issues, including cancer.
  6. Harmful to Aquatic Life: High chlorine levels in water bodies can be harmful to aquatic ecosystems. Chlorine can be toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms, disrupting the balance of the ecosystem.
  7. Corrosion: Elevated chlorine levels can promote the corrosion of pipes and plumbing fixtures in water distribution systems. This can lead to the release of heavy metals, such as lead, into the drinking water, posing a health risk.
  8. Weakening of Immune System: Long-term exposure to high chlorine levels in drinking water may potentially weaken the immune system, making individuals more susceptible to infections and illnesses.

It’s important to note that the allowable chlorine levels in drinking water are regulated by government agencies, such as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in the United States, to ensure that they are safe for human consumption. Water treatment facilities regularly monitor and adjust chlorine levels to maintain a balance between disinfection and minimizing potential health risks.

If you suspect that your drinking water has excessively high chlorine levels or if you experience persistent issues related to your water quality, you should get it tested. In some cases, installing a water filtration system.

Call us today. So you can be sure! 850-562-7751.

Call Now